Taking on a major renovation and living in the home can be extremely stressful, so I knew that I would need some place to retreat to. The master bedroom would need just a few cosmetic changes, so before moving in, we spent a week renovating this relaxing space.
The week before we moved in we tore out the green carpet and all the molding. We installed new door casings and 6″base moldings, I think a beefier molding can really dress up a room. We replaced all the molding throughout the entire house for $500. A little price to pay for a dramatic effect.
For all the molding and ceilings in the house I had the paint color matched to what my kitchen cupboards would be, so we would have a consistent white throughout the house. The peaceful blue I chose is Behr “Smokey Slate”. This is the same color that Stephanie used in her master bedroom in her previous house. I just loved it, it has quite a calming affect.
The flooring for the bedrooms that we chose is Stainmaster, A Ventura in Truth. It has a slight geometric pattern and is super soft on the feet. The window coverings are from Ikea and I customized them with black grosgrain ribbon, bracelets and pleats, for the complete tutorial click here. The chairs in the bay window I reupholstered using a peacock blue velvet and a fun French script fabric for the piping and back of the chair. A great spot to sit back and enjoy a good book. The occasional table between the two chairs is a lucky thrift store find. I paid only $4 for it and I love the wonderful crackled and chippy patina.
The lamps on the nightstands were a gift from Stephanie and the inspiration for the bedroom. They have a linen shade, black letter stenciling and a grosgrain black ribbon band. The nightstands are a family heirloom, my late grandfather built them for Steve and I as a wedding gift 37 years ago. The blue velvet is repeated in the pillow on the bed as well as the French script fabric. The bedding is also a natural linen with a black velvet blanket that I fold over the top. The four poster bed is another DIY, check out the tutorial to see what it looked like before.
This armoire is another DIY piece, it may be a little big for this room (our previous home had vaulted ceilings in the master and I really needed a piece to fill the space), but I loved the way this piece turned out and couldn’t part with it. It was a real challenge getting it in the room, it barely cleared the ceiling. For this piece I painted it a dark brown first, then using a chip brush I layered on black, and to finish it off I added a metallic silver glaze over the entire piece. The interior is painted peacock blue.
There you have it, my Restful Retreat! If you have found this inspiring … please Share & Pin it.
And as always here at Sunny Side Design we hope to . . .
BRING YOUR HOME TO THE SUNNY SIDE OF THE STREET.